Monday, March 2, 2009

What's In A Name?

Ok... so obviously names are part of the discussion at our house right now. And while we have some names we like, we are no where close to having picked one yet.

But I have a question about names. If you like a name, and the name comes from someone, are you automatically naming your child after that person? Or can it just be, I like that name and so I'm using it?

Let's just say hypothetically speaking of course....

That I liked a particular girl name. And I have only ever heard this particular girl name on a T.V. show. And while the girl on the T.V. show is beautiful, she is the VILLIAN on this show. Now, just imagine this show is not a very popular show, for instance it's only shown at random times on the basic channels, or only on (let's say for instance) the Sci-Fi channel at prime-time. Would it then be ok to use that name?

Would your child forever think that they are named after a T.V. show character? Is it so wrong to like a name off of a T.V. show? or even a current famous person's name? Are you evil for liking that name and naming your child after that? But it's not really naming the child after the person/character.... you just happen to like the name. Or by default are you naming the child after that person/character?

Now there are rules that are needed for naming. Many of them are covered here. Because seriously... I wonder if some people think before naming their child. But where do you draw the line on who/what your child is named after? or NOT named after as the case may be.

So I put it to you... what do you think as far as naming a child? Where do you draw the line?

11 comments:

. said...

Chad and I went through a lot of this in the beginning...but now we have a list of potential names for any and all Pena children! We had to eliminate any names that reminded either of us of someone we didn't like/was mean/ a jerk, you get the idea. Then, although we did name Allen after Chad's middle name, it was just that and not because it was a family name as well...something we had to make clear to others! I guess what it comes down to is, that it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, go with what works for you! (My personal side note...practice saying the name as if from a graduation podium, and see how it works!)

Ashlie said...

I think you base it on whether or not you'll be able to move on and let go of where the name came from or if it will haunt you every time you say it.

Another no no in my book is taking an otherwise cute name and putting a random letter on the front to make it unusual. Hopefully no with that kind of a name reads this or I'm going to get flogged. I'm not saying it's bad just I wouldn't do it.

Randy and Sarah said...

I think that you can use what ever name you are comfortable using. It does not matter where the name came from, who else has that name, or if you are indeed naming them after someone else. The only thing that matters is whether or not you can live with the name and you can see if you child will get a lot of ridicule in the future for the name. I do agree with you, some people do not think before naming their children! Sarah and I happened to decide on carrying tradition through and naming the first boy and girl certain names. It is a tradition to that the first girl in the family has the name Sarah somewhere in her name. For the boy we decided to offer a memoir of her grandfather and my father. It all depends on whether you can live with the name and if you are happy with the decision. -Randy-

Nick and Serina said...

You should use what ever name you and Matt want to use. If you want to use a name off the TV go ahead. I'm all for it: My first and middle name are both off of sci-fi tv shows in the 80's. It's actually fun to tell people that I'm a Space Baby and where my name came from. Some family members will just never like the name, but once the child grows up they will love him for him and not his name. So if you want to use a family name or a tv name~ it has to be what you and Matt want, not what everyone else wants. Wish you the best luck at picking a name for your little one.

Unknown said...

I definitely can't use some names, even though I like them. For example, if I were to name a daughter Colette (the girl I dated for 3 years), my parents would not be happy. The other thing we like to consider is popularity of names. We don't want our kids to be one of four in school. A good resource to find out popularity trends is http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/. You can check out your potential names here.

Matthew said...

Am I wrong for trying to figure out the TV show and name in this story?

Seriously, if the name feels right, it's the right name. Michelle and I went back-and-forth for a looooong time but eventually agreed on the name we used.

Leann said...

If you guess the name I will tell you, but I'm not giving any clues!

The Normal Mormon Husband said...

I saw a number of people had found my blog through yours so I thought I'd check you out. Thanks for the link to my blog and I'm glad you found the baby name post useful.

For my two cents, if you have a boy name him Seth Xavier. Seth is scriptural and "burly", while having an "X" name would be totally cool. I'm not as good with girl names, so you're on your own.

BTW - "Geekily Ever After" is one of the more clever URL's out there. Nicely done.

-NMH

Mary Lou Hart said...

Congrats on the boy! Let the craziness insue. On names...I loved NMH rules but in the end if you & Matt agree it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. And if you think he'll be damaged because he was named after a tv character don't tell him, if it is obscure enough what are the chances he'll ever figure it out.

author said...

Nah... I think you can just use a name you like. Unless, of course, it's an ex's name. That would just be wierd. (Oh, wait. That's how my mom got her name.)

G said...

I will pat myself on the back for helping you to name your blog. Man, I rock.

I've been curiously following these comments because M and I are having a similar problem, as you well know. Just of the female talk show variety and such. Of course, we have other issues too... I mean about names. I guess we have other "issues" too. ;)