Thursday, September 10, 2009

Challenges...

So Reid is having a hard week... I'm not sure what it is, and of course the timing is wonderful, with me going back to work part-time next week.

So he was sleeping through the night and had sort of regular nap times... But then this weekend we had fun doing different things, and being productive... So his nap times got thrown off.

Anyways. Today he was so tired after eating at his normal late morning time... so I put him down an hour after eating (normally he goes for 1.5 hours or more before getting tired). Then he wakes up screaming with less than an hour of sleep (normally sleeps for 1.5-2 hours). I pick him up and he still doesn't calm down. Finally standing in the hallway looking at some pictures he starts to calm down. We leave that spot, and he's upset again. Eventually I did get him calmed down, but I had to hold him tight and keep walking or rocking him.

I checked his gums, and no signs of teeth yet. Could he be having bad dreams? What can you do for that?
I just wonder if its that, because he woke up in the middle of the night last night, and then cut his nap way short today. Then just now when I went to put him down, he was upset about it. Which he didn't used to do. Course, he's so exhausted cuz he's been awake for almost 4 straight hours, that he did crash pretty quickly. But could it be dreams? Or am I imagining it?

6 comments:

Megan Turnidge said...

Awww poor Reid and poor mommy! I don't know if it could be dreams, but maybe he doesn't feel well? Maybe he has an earache or something? But sometimes they decide to be ornery and you won't have any clue why they're so grouchy. lol

Hope he gets back to his smiley, sleepy self SOON!

The Wilker Family said...

I think they can have bad dreams! Preston will wake up ranomly sometimes crying and kind of freaked out. It takes a little bit to calm down and sometimes he doesn't want to go back in his crib because of it. We haven't found a solution, just a lot of comfort and loves from us. That's great that he's taking such long naps, Preston only slept for 40 min. at a time until he was like 6 months old.

Carolina said...

I am so sorry. That is so hard for everyone... I too would check if he's starting to feel a little sick (ears, gas in his belly - has he had "normal diapers", if you are nursing did you eat anything new? etc). I think sometimes a little change in the normal routine may be a stressor for the baby (and they are GOOD at noticing changes) and at times they may be a bit overstimulated - making them scream despite fatigue... I would give it a few days and see how he does. Good luck!

Mary Lou Hart said...

I find that if Abi misses a nap or gets overly tired she refuses to sleep..which just makes it worse. Usually is fussy for a day or 2 and then crashes. Good luck.

Frozenfire said...

Alexander does this. It's usually because I messed up his schedule and then he'll be a terror for a while. It's so hard to get him calmed down and happy again sometimes, especially when LIFE is happening. What helps me and him is for me to spend a day with him helping him sleep as much as possible, and then he's usually feeling better. Don't know if that would help Reid, but I wish you the best whatever happens!

ily said...

It's probably ears. Pesky ear infections were almost always the problems with my boys when they were grumpy.