Thursday, May 22, 2008

What Do You Think Sister Engineer?

So, I'm not sure how many times I can stress a point, and yet, no one seems to remember...

I am a leader of a church youth group. I am specifically over the girls from 14-15, but the whole group consists of girls 12-18, and I am considered their leader as well. Well, the girls have a camp each summer, and they all look forward to it, like you wouldn't believe.

So the other night we were doing prep for Girls' Camp, and they all wanted to know what they were going to get to wear up at camp. Not that they don't know what to wear in respect to pants and t-shirt. I mean each group gets a color to signify their group. And then they get to have 3 items to wear at camp, typically of that color, signifying they are part of that specific group. Now typically, these items are cute, have something cute painted/sew/ironed onto them. It takes some creativity to build these signifying items. Well, the girls were hounding 1 leader, and this leader says, let's ask Sister Engineer (that's me, and no she didn't really call me that).

Ok seriously... what part of geek do you not get? I never have had, nor never will have ANY artistic ability. Seriously. I depend on my friends to have that. I mean, check out the links on my page, their design capabilities far exceed what I could even hope to imagine in my head. I have said multiple times, this artsy-fartsy stuff should be left up to the OTHER leaders... not the leader who sits in front of computer all day, and thinks that silver anything looks the best. How boring can I get?

SIDE NOTE : Yes, I know that G is the exception. She is a geek, and has emaculate art abilities... seriously, check out these cakes Woo-Woo and Gumdrop.

And to add to my personal fear that I know I have no art abilities, I don't want ruffles, I don't want hearts or bows, I don't want someone to walk into my house and think country kitchen... so then I stress that maybe I should have some of that frilly stuff, so that my house doesn't look like a hospital room. How do I add that extra flare? How do I make my house look like a home, without adding all the extras? or without making it not me?

Well, all I have to say is thank goodness for a friend who taught me to copy. See a magazine page you like? Do it, copy it. I don't add my own additional crafts, I can't pretend to know what goes with what, but I can grab all the coordinating items at Crate and Barrel, or Bed Bath and Beyond, or other furniture stores, and put it up (in a ordered, aligned fashion of course, none of this crazy spontaneous design).

4 comments:

G said...

Aw shucks, you're making me blush...

Oh man, I hear ya though. I mean with the insecurity with making your house feel inviting. Last I checked, the "operating room" look doesn't count as cozy. DARN! It's so hard to do welcoming without compromising my hate of frilly... Of course these days my biggest hurdle is the fact that I hate spending money!

PS - Nice badge ;)

Megan Turnidge said...

Your house isn't like a hospital! LOL! And no, I do NOT like the 1990 Mormon Country decor. YUCK!
And don't forget, I am ALWAYS willing to help you with some artsy fartsy stuff! ;)

Megan Turnidge said...

I use this counter:
http://www.statcounter.com/
It's one of the few ones that tells city, state but it's not 100% accurate. In fact, the way I know that is it always says YOU are from Yonkers, NY...LOL! I also like that it shows the referring link.

Leann said...

Megan, I agree, you house does not look Mormon Country either! But it does have more curly decorations, like your picture frames and stuff, which I think LOOK great, but when I see them in the store... I can't stand them!